Just a brief announcement if you are currently working or planning to work on the develop branch. That is, developing an extension for the next version or the current version.
Watch out for these major improvements.... There's going to be a lot of changes to the develop branch code in prep for the next release, so ensure you always have the updated copy cloned.
Take these into consideration.
- compulsory psr-4 coding standard for extensions
- Models extends Illuminate\Eloquent instead of the native CI, support for CI Models will stop some point in the future.
- App folder restructure, so make proper use of the app CONSTANTS
- the way extensions, themes, and languages are installed, updated and registered will change
- Extensions folder restructure to separate main components from admin controllers.
- Extendable controller widgets (list, form, media-manager widget)
- More powerful and extendable Admin and Main controllers
- Backward compatibility will be provided but might require minor tweaks to your code.
- Using twig templating engine within views.
- .... I'll add more
All this is to make TI easier to customise and extend...
To join in on the development, clone the git develop branch and send in your pull request. Or better still open an issue to start a discussion on a feature you'd like to develop.